Thursday, March 22, 2012

Sapphire Blue



The story of the Sapphire Blue

A few months ago I mixed a glaze by the promising name Sapphire Blue. I was surprised to find out that the glaze came out of the kiln actually green. I thought I probably made a mistake while 
mixing the glaze, by omitting the Cobalt Carbonate while talking on the phone or something.


original sapphire blue

I tried to mix the original one again, this time in a very small amount, and it did came out a  beautiful sapphire Blue.


Very happy, I made a whole new bucket of the first glaze, and changed the name to Sapphire Green.
This time it came out pale orange.

Therefore, I have mixed 3 more litters of the glaze,  repeating very carefully the original recipe; the Sapphire Blue.  If I can't get the Blue again, at least I'll have a beautiful green, but no, not me…
Yesterday I've started a Glazing day, this time with taking photos of every piece after every step, so I can track what I did, when the dishes come out of the kiln.








What a shame


when I looked over the photos I have found out that I used the old bucket with the wrong glaze again… the one that came out orange…
mean time, I have already glazed 6 pieces. 


and also two large vases


spots of the right glaze on top of wrong glaze

I did put some spots of the "right" glaze on top. Now I am waiting to see what a surprise  will come out of the kiln this time... 


5 comments:

Linda Starr said...

A glaze that can turn three different colors, how wonderful, but not when they don't turn out as you want them to.

walking beyond said...

I am not sure if it is a miracle glaze, or it is my own lack of concentration ...

Mark Smalley said...

I really sympathise..too often i leave bowls of glaze or slip lying around and quickly forget what I've put in them. And then there was my lavender glaze which worked great as a small sample, so I mixed up an enormous batch of it..but the results have been disappointing & nothing like the test.

corey@lfgpottery.com said...

Varda Sharon Kramer,

I believe I have tested and mixed the exact same glaze you are discussing in this blog. I too got blue in the small test but green in the 10-lb batch i mixed. I lovee the green and want to mix more but the subsequent mixes all turned out horrible and react as if they are not properly fluxed and/or stabalized. were you able to get the glaze to function in either the blue or green and if so what was the key?

walking beyond said...

Thanks for visiting my blog.. I did get the Sapphire Blue as great glaze colored blue,but never actually got that beautiful green again...
see:
http://walkingbeyond.blogspot.co.il/2012/03/sapphire-blue-iii.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails